Current:Home > MyTennessee suspect in dozens of rapes is convicted of producing images of child sex abuse -Trailblazer Wealth Guides
Tennessee suspect in dozens of rapes is convicted of producing images of child sex abuse
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 17:20:21
GREENEVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A Tennessee man who is accused in lawsuits of drugging and sexually assaulting dozens of women while police deliberately botched investigations into him was convicted Thursday of producing images of child sexual abuse.
Sean Williams, 53, faces a minimum mandatory term of 15 years in prison and up to 30 years in prison as to each of the three counts in the federal indictment. Sentencing is set for Feb. 24.
According to a police report, a Western Carolina University campus police officer found Williams asleep in his car last year. A search of his vehicle uncovered cocaine, methamphetamine, about $100,000 in cash and digital storage devices with more than 5,000 images of child sexual abuse. Williams was also in possession of photos and videos showing him sexually assaulting at least 52 women at his Johnson City apartment while they were in an “obvious state of unconsciousness.”
Jurors in Greeneville federal court found Williams guilty Thursday of all three counts related to the images of a 9-month-old boy, a 4-year-old girl and a 7-year-old girl. Prosecutors said Williams also raped the children’s mothers while they were unconscious and that there were images and videos of them as well.
The mothers testified at trial but Williams did not. He has not yet been charged with sexually assaulting any of the dozens of women.
Williams also faces charges in Tennessee including child rape, aggravated sexual battery of someone under 13 and especially aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor. And in a North Carolina federal court, he is charged with possessing child sexual abuse images and illegal drugs.
In October 2023, Williams escaped from a van taking him from Kentucky’s Laurel County Detention Center to the court in Greeneville for a hearing. Authorities caught him in Florida more than a month after the escape. A jury convicted him in July of the escape, for which he faces a maximum prison sentence of five years. Sentencing on that charge is scheduled for February.
Separately, three federal lawsuits accuse the Johnson City Police Department of refusing to properly investigate evidence that Williams was drugging and raping women in their east Tennessee community for years. Those lawsuits, which do not name Williams as a defendant, were filed by a former federal prosecutor; nine women listed as Jane Does 1-9; and another woman individually. One of them alleges Williams paid police to obstruct investigations into sexual assault allegations against him.
The first of the trials in the federal lawsuits is scheduled to begin in August 2025.
The city has denied the allegations of corruption, as have the officers named in the lawsuits. The parties are expected to depose Williams in at least one of those lawsuits.
Williams told The Tennessean he was framed by law enforcement to cover up a broader public corruption scandal.
The former prosecutor’s lawsuit claims police deliberately botched her effort to arrest Williams on a federal felon-possessing-ammunition charge in April 2021, enabling him to flee. He was on the run from that charge when he was arrested on the Western Carolina University campus two years later. The city countered that she took five months to obtain an indictment when police requested one in 2020.
At least half a dozen names on the folders of videos of women were consistent with first names on a list labeled “Raped” that Johnson City officers found in his apartment, a police affidavit says.
Facing public criticism, Johnson City ordered an outside investigation into how officers handled sexual assault investigations in the summer of 2022. That November, the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI opened a federal sex trafficking investigation.
The results of the city’s outside investigation, released in 2023, found police conducted inconsistent, ineffective and incomplete investigations; relied on inadequate record management; had insufficient training and policies; and sometimes showed gender-based stereotypes and bias.
The city said it began improving the department’s performance even before the findings were released, including following the district attorney’s new sexual assault investigation protocol and creating a “comfortable space” for victim interviews.
veryGood! (214)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Judge rules ex-NFL star Shannon Sharpe did not defame Brett Favre on FS1 talk show
- Why Denise Richards Doesn't Want Daughter Sami Sheen to Get a Boob Job
- Robert De Niro tells jury that emotional abuse claims by ex-assistant are nonsense
- Bodycam footage shows high
- 'Not to be missed': 'Devil comet' may be visible to naked eye in April. Here's how to see it.
- SPANX Flash Sale: Get Ready for Holiday Party Season and Save up to 68% Off
- NFL trade deadline updates: Chase Young to 49ers among flurry of late moves
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- NFL power rankings Week 9: Eagles ascend to top spot after Chiefs' slide
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Zayn Malik's Halloween Transformation Into Harry Potter's Voldemort Will Give You Chills
- Orsted scraps 2 offshore wind power projects in New Jersey, citing supply chain issues
- 'They touched my face': Goldie Hawn recalls encounter with aliens while on Apple podcast
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- AP PHOTOS: Israeli families of hostages taken to Gaza caught between grief and hope as war rages on
- Australia cannot strip citizenship from man over his terrorism convictions, top court says
- Bangladesh launches new India-assisted rail projects and thermal power unit amid opposition protests
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
The US infant mortality rate rose last year. The CDC says it’s the largest increase in two decades
King Charles III visits war cemetery in Kenya after voicing ‘deepest regret’ for colonial violence
Don't fall for artificial intelligence deepfakes: Here's how to spot them
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
Does candy corn kill 500,000 Americans each Halloween? Yes, according to a thing I read.
Oxford High School 2021 shooting was 'avoidable' if district followed policy, investigation says
U.K. police investigating death of former NHL player Adam Johnson, whose neck was cut by skate blade